With the ARRA deadline approaching quickly many practices may be looking to make a decision in the near future. This article goes over what steps to take in order to make a great selection of EHR software.
Maximize Your Stimulus Dollars!
The ARRA timeline to secure the stimulus payments is speeding up quickly. Due diligence is important, however considering too many once a good program that meets the ARRA criteria and your practice needs has been found feel confident in your decision; excessiveness can delay your opportunity to maximize the stimulus dollars available to you.
Steps to confirm for your research:
- Check to ensure the EMR software meets all of the federal criteria for ARRA stimulus funds: CCHIT 2011/ONC-ATCB 2011-2012
- Review specialty specific content and workflow for your medical specialty needs are met; avoid accepting “Vapor Wear” (vendors promising new features in the future)
- Ease of use (to be determined by the medical practice)
- Get a complete understanding of EMR as a web-based solution (often called cloud computing) vs. client server. Determine which is best for your comfort level before signing an agreement. This consideration should be based on technical levels and price points.
- Check for the components of ARRA and how each compliment the EMR, including: electronic prescriptions and lab orders, as well as patient portal integration.
These steps of consideration to review your criteria for EMR decision can help ensure a sound decision. Change can be challenging. If the company you decide on can meet your needs, they can also help in this transition. The EMR vendor should listen to you needs, understand your frustrations, and resolve your challenges.