How Medical Coding Services Can Streamline Your Practice
Why Medical Coding Services are Invaluable.
Medical coding is the process of translating patient information from medical reports into a set of codes. For example, the patient’s condition, physician’s diagnosis, and the prescribed medications will all be converted into specific codes. These codes are an essential part of a medical insurance claim. If they are incomplete or incorrect, insurance companies will reject your claims and will delay your reimbursements.
What Are Medical Coding Services?
Medical coders assess each patient’s medical report and determine which diagnostic procedure the healthcare provider has performed. They then code these procedures ad diagnoses based on a national classification system. Coders assign a specific alphanumeric code to each procedure and diagnosis. Medical coding services typically follow the following steps when processing claims:
- A medical coding expert will receive the patient information and convert it into code and enter the data into the system. The information may be handwritten or in the form of an electronic file.
- Once the coders have entered the data into the system, it is then passed on to the appropriate team. They add further data such as the doctor’s name and location.
- Certified coders then translate the procedural and diagnostic information into code. They also make sure all coding is compatible to avoid rejection.
- Files are then sent back to the client for feedback. This helps to refine the service.
The 4 Main Steps to Medical Coding
- Finding the diagnostic term in the alphabetical index.
- Checking the code in the tabular list.
- Reading the code’s requirements.
- Adding a seventh character if necessary.
Three Types of Medical Coding
The three main types of medical coding are:
- ICD: Internal Classification of Disease codes represent causes of disease, injury, or death. Read Faqs
- CPT: Current Procedure Terminology codes represent any procedure performed in a healthcare provider’s office.
- HCPCS: Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System represents equipment, services, and procedures not covered by CPT codes. For example, ambulance rides and prosthetic limbs.
The Benefits of Medical Coding Services
- Cost effective
- More focus to your practice
- Access to Certified Expert
Medical coding is vital for two main reasons:
- Medical reports must have the required medical coding so that health insurance companies have all the diagnostic codes they need to reimburse the healthcare provider.
- Coding also plays a crucial role in disease research and its prevalence and demographic analysis of treatment outcomes.
PrognoCIS Provides Certified Medical Coding Services
Do you want to ensure more accurate coding and faster reimbursement for your practice?
Our expert PrognoCIS coding team will provide accurate coding services. This means you increase your revenue and get a healthy payment flow.
Do you want to ensure more accurate coding and faster reimbursement for your practice? Our expert PrognoCIS coding team will provide accurate coding services. This means you increase your revenue and get a healthy payment flow.