Modern OB/GYN practices are experts at looking after the health of women and the welfare of expectant moms. To provide the best in women’s health care, they need an efficient EHR (Electronic Health Record) that can improve charting capabilities and facilitate patient engagement. According to Zippia, there are over 22,658 OB/GYNs practicing in the U.S. today. The vast majority use EHR systems as part of their daily routine. Medical Economics, in fact, reports that physicians in general spend an average of 4.5 hours a day completing electronic health records.
A high-functioning EHR can be an asset to OB/GYN practices by improving access to medical information. An inefficient EHR, however, can lead to a huge waste of time and diminished communication abilities. That is why the selection of OB/GYN features is so important, and why it is so critical that the best OB/GYN software today evolves to meet the needs of this medical specialty.
A 2015 survey found that the majority (61.4%) of OB/GYN practices which had an EHR system in place at that time were satisfied with their system. Commonly cited positives included electronic prescription capabilities, efficiency, and ease of note access. Focus group comments from the survey included:
- “When I see a patient, it’s very easy to click through their notes and get a sense of what they’ve been through and what their history is. Also, if I’m specifically interested in one thing, like clotting issues, I can look at that information, which makes things much more efficient than they would be with a paper chart.”
- “Charts can get shifted around, and lab reports might not get attached to charts. It was a nightmare. A good chunk of our day was spent looking for paper results and charts, and things like that.”
- “Prescription writing aids that EHRs offer have been a really big help to us.”
Reported impediments to EHR use included: ineffective templates, time needed, note quality, interference with patient interactions, and cost. To avoid having to deal with these problems, the top ten OB/GYN EHR features to look for are:
- Mobility: Modern OB/GYN practices are on the go, especially when a baby is on the way. Providers need to be able to access patient data from smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops and home computers, whenever the mom calls. One key must-have is a robust, mobile, HIPAA-compliant EHR system that allows easy access anytime, anywhere.
- OB/GYN Templates: To minimize time documenting patient encounters, look for an EHR that includes standard OB/GYN clinical encounter SOAP (subjective, objective, assessment, and plan) templates. The EHR should also allow providers to personalize content by creating customized templates to support their unique requirements. Templates, documents and forms need to be compliant with ACOG standards.
- Telehealth Capability: Expectant moms may find it hard to travel to the OB/GYN’s office for a visit, and some might even be confined to bedrest. Strong telehealth capabilities enable practitioners to continue providing care during these challenging times.
“89% of women utilizing telehealth believe it to be comparable or better than in-person care” and “80% would consider using a telehealth service between OB/GYN appointments.”November 2021 survey by cirrusmd.com
- System Interoperability: Interoperability is becoming more imperative for efficient functioning, so the EHR solution should have a wide range of capabilities. This includes clinical messaging, ePrescriptions, fast and efficient electronic lab order management, clinical documentation tools, and document management.
- Powerful Reporting: To take advantage of MACRA reimbursement opportunities, the EHR must meet standards set by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Cloud Storage: Access to cloud storage enables greater ability to achieve access to large-size files, such as ultrasound images, from anywhere, without having to worry about system storage capacity.
- Added Tools: Practice management modules, billing services, or revenue management services can add to practice efficiency.
- Robust Security: As required by HIPAA, your EHR must protect patient and practice information, with features that allow practices to securely send secure text and email messages.
- Patient Portal: Communicate with patients more efficiently through the use of a secure, online patient portal.
- Technical Support: Look for a system that provides 24/7 U.S. based technical support and services.
Perhaps the most important feature for an OB/GYN EHR system should be a simple user interface. The easier the EHR is to use, the more time providers will have to focus on patient engagement.
Choosing the Best OB/GYN EHR Software for Your OB/GYN Practice
A system designed for one specific area of practice is more likely to have user-friendly templates, streamlined workflows, and increased documentation accuracy. The PrognoCIS Electronic Health Record for OB/GYN Clinics maximizes productivity and enhances patient care, with features, functionalities and OB/GYN procedural templates that are designed to create the best workflow to meet practice needs.
Providers can easily maintain their patients’ pregnancy and prenatal care histories, get access to common complaints, and utilize an easy interface with labs, radiology, and e-prescription. This software also assists in identifying common preventive examinations and other gynecological problems.
One Case Study focuses on Dr. Markle and Dr. Hinshaw, gynecologists who provide specialized OB/GYN care in Franklin, NC. Although Dr Hinshaw was using another EHR, he was looking for a system that provided integrated EHR and billing services. Dr. Hinshaw was extremely satisfied with the PrognoCIS EHR and reported that, “PrognoCIS solutions have helped increase the financial health of his practice while also helping him provide excellent patient care.”
Key Takeaways for OB/GYN EHR Software Choices
A hard-working EHR is a critical piece of your OB/GYN clinic’s patient care system. PrognoCIS by Bizmatics is a leading EHR company that provides clinical and business productivity software and services to independent medical practices, clinics and specialists.
A member of the Harris Ambulatory Group, our cloud-based application (by AWS) is fully integrated with powerful modules including Electronic Health Records (EHR), Telemedicine, Practice Management, Medical Billing, Revenue Cycle Management (RCM), and Patient Engagement tools. Visit our website at or call 408-873-3030 to request a demo and learn more about improving the EHR at your OB/GYN clinic.