[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Patient and referral physician portals can be extremely beneficial to both the patients and their providers. However, in order to enjoy all of the benefits they can provide, the portals need to possess the proper functionality.
Patient portals increase both productivity and efficiency. Some patient portal systems allow patients to register and complete forms online, making clinic and hospital visits run more smoothly. Patient portals can also help providers meet Meaningful Use requirements. Providers who meet these requirements can receive federal incentive checks. Patient portals should also allow the patient to:
- Request prescription refills
- Access medical records
- Pay bills
- Review lab results
- Request appointments
- Communicate with health care providers through emails, comments and messaging
The most crucial feature of a patient portal is the ability to share individual health information through a secure online location. In the United States, healthcare providers are required to meet HIPAA regulations. For this reason, security is always a priority when installing patient portals. Patient access usually requires a username and password to ensure security.
Bizmatics offers a patient portal with many features that can save a medical practice both time and money. These features include:
- Access from home with just a username and password
- Prescription refill requests
- Intake forms
- Full PM/EMR software integration
- Appointment requests
- Messaging to both the doctors and their staff
- Access to lab results
Referring physicians want a fast and easy way to refer their patients. The specialty practice wants content referring physicians and complete data in order to schedule patients quickly and accurately. Referral portals enable the provider to enhance the services that they provide to referring physicians. When accessed through a secure web browser, the referring physician portal allows referring physicians to:
- Access information about the referred organization through options that allow them to search for physician specialties
- Input new patient referrals more efficiently with a customized template for their specific needs
- Send patient reports, images, and results through the portal, enhancing the effectiveness of the process
- Incorporate information with the existing EHR for authorized access by all of the patient’s providers
With the right features, patient and referral physician portals can save everyone time and money, while ensuring their satisfaction with the product.
Author: Lauren Daniels[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]